New details about the death of Ifedolapo Oladepo has been revealed by the NYSC after conclusion of investigation.
Ifedolapo Oladepo tragically died while serving her country
The 2016 Batch ‘B’ corps member, late Ifedolapo Oladepo, who died at the National Youth Service Corps orientation camp in Kano, had renal sepsis which occurred as a result of an infection.
Oladepo graduated from the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso before the her tragic demise.

This was the report of an investigation conducted to unravel the immediate cause of her death. The investigation revealed she “had kidney infection, probably due to untreated urinary tract infection.”
The Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung and Director General of the NYSC, Brig-General Suleiman Kazaure, while presenting the report on Tuesday in Abuja, said the government will continue to ensure the safety of youth corps members.
The family of the deceased corps member had accused the government of negligence in handling Oladepo’s health condition leading to her untimely death.
While presenting the report of the committee set up to unravel the immediate and remote causes of their deaths, Kazaure said Ifedolapo Oladepo’s death was as a result of her “refusal to disclose her ailment she had been battling with before resuming to camp.”
He said, “It is clear that the deceased had an ailment which she did not disclose. From the doctors’ report, the corps member died of renal sepsis occasioned by infection.
“Even, to the untrained, kidney infections do not develop and degenerate to the level of mortality in three days (i.e 7th to 29th November, 2016).
“The deceased first appeared at the camp clinic with complaints of headache and fever, which she said she had been experiencing for two days.
“On examination, the doctors on duty noticed rashes on her legs, which she claimed started appearing as a result of her use of a second-hand knickers she bought without first washing it.
“Doctors noticed increase in the rashes on her legs, the deceased still dismissed it as a reaction to usage of a second-hand knicker. By this time, she had been vomiting. Therefore, she was admitted at the camp clinic and treated with Drazamol injection and Piriton to soothe her body pains as she was already on malaria drugs.”
According to him, the deceased was immediately referred to Gwarzo General Hospital for further treatment, where, after examination, “the doctor concluded that the deceased had kidney infection probably due to untreated urinary tract infection.”
He said Oladepo died on her way to the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital for immediate dialysis.
He said, “The investigation showed that the deceased responded well until about 2:00am on 29th November when her condition worsened, and her body began to show noticeable signs of fluid retention.
“She was thereafter placed on oxygen as the doctors battled to stabilise her for the long journey to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital.”
She finally died at about 4:00 am on November 29, 2016.
It would be recalled that apart from Oladepo, two other corps members died recently died during the on-going 2016 Batch ‘B’ (Stream I) orientation programme.
They are Chinyerum Nwenenda Elechi, Ifedolapo Oladepo and Monday Asuquo Ukeme, deployed to Bayelsa, Kano and Zamfara states respectively.


Post a comment